All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Holocaust memoir from Paul Schaffer, who survived Auschwitz to become a successful industrialist, hored by the country of France By the age of 14, Paul Shaffer had received a comprehensive education in Vienna. He spent his teenage years, first on the run from the Nazis in Belgium and France, and then in Auschwitz from 1942 to 1945, and survived to become a successful industrialist who was hored by the government of France. The carefully chosen vignettes and descriptions in this Holocaust memoir provide insights into a middle-class Jewish childhood in prewar Vienna, attitudes to Jewish refugees in Vichy France, arrest and detention in France, survival in Auschwitz, and the return to postwar France to face the challenges of reintegration into French society. With photos of the author in the Siemens factory where he worked as an inmate, this emotional memoir is an attempt to comprehend those events and examine the range of human behavior he himself witnessed. Shaffer's account was written with students in mind, and consequently deliberately omits detailed descriptions of the most horrifying aspects of life as a concentration camp inmate.
- Author BiographyPaul Schaffer was named by France as an officer of the Legion of Honour and an Officer of the National Order of Merit. Vivian Felsen is an award-winning translator. She lives in Toronto. Serge Klarsfeld is a lawyer and author who has been active in bringing war criminals to justice. Simone Veil is a women s rights advocate, former minister of health of France, and former president of the European Parliament. She was incarcerated with the author in Auschwitz.
- Author(s)Paul Schaffer
- PublisherVehicule Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationMontreal, QC
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintVehicule Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight268 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byVivian Felsen
- Introduction bySimone Veil
- Foreword bySerge Klarsfeld
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.