All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe decolonization process in The Gambia threw up political leaders who in various ways contributed to the emancipation of the country. Regrettably, very limited efforts have been made to put on record the experiences of these personalities, t only as part of a process of kwledge generation and transfer but as a source of inspiration for those aspiring to leadership. This volume is a step in that direction. It chronicles the life of The Very Reverend J.C. Faye, a man of many parts and an icon. Like other distinguished leaders of his day Faye's leadership instincts could t be contained in a single sphere of activity; they were a license to venture into different areas and to squally confront the challenges therein. As the activist Faye could t be separated from his times, the narrative leads to a comprehensive examination of his involvement in the fields of education, the Church, and in the political system. We thus have a thorough discussion of political and constitutional development in The Gambia in the late decolonization and early post-independence period. Full treatment is also given to the linkages and overlaps in his engagement in these three fields of operation, resulting in a rich tapestry of commitment to service to his people and to his country. One observation that stands out in the description and analysis of the politics of the day is that from early days Faye was a strident opponent of the colonial system. In the pursuit of the goal of self-government and independence for The Gambia, he was ready to take on all perceived perpetrators of colonialism. This struggle, revolving around sustained demands for constitutional advancement, occupied much of his attention and energies. But then in the larger society new forces were to emerge to challenge pioneers like him, leading to his formation of alliances with contending forces. And, as happens in politics, a series of miscalculations eventually led to the end of an outstanding political career.
- Author(s)Jeggan C Senghor
- Date of Publication13/05/2014
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight685 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.