Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased on the experience of city life, The Vestiges moves across the uneven geography of the present, linking historical moments when quarters of cities were squatted, when social change boiled and the future was up for grabs. In the context of our precarious present, the poem The Vestiges, around which the book is built, sets out to explore / what happens / to humans when they are reduced / to things by other humans. In asking this question, The Vestiges is a long poem engaged with modernist poems that move from the particularities of everyday life to enduring and unanswered political and cultural questions. Covering a wide terrain of research, the other serial poems in the book mine various texts, from the Craigslist auto parts section to Jane Jacobs, from Marx to Marcuse, and from historical accounts of cities to contemporary real-estate promotions, in order to build up an eclectic atlas of this unstable moment. In terms of contemporary poetics, The Vestiges enters into dialogue with modernism, conceptual writing, and post-conceptual art.
- Author BiographyJeff Derksen is a founding member of Vancouver's writer-run centre, the Kootenay School of Writing, and worked as an editor of Writing magazine. His work has been anthologized in East of Main and Verse: Postmodern Poetry and Language Writing. As an editor, Derksen also organized Disgust and Overdetermination: a poetics issue, for Open Letter and Poetry and the Long Neoliberal Moment for West Coast Line. Derksen's poetry and critical writing on art, urbanism, and text have been published in Europe and North America. Formerly a research fellow at the Center for Place, Culture, and Politics at the City University of New York, he currently works in the English department at Simon Fraser University. He collaborates on visual art and research projects (focusing on urban issues) with the research collective Urban Subjects. Derksen's Down Time won the 1991 Dorothy Livesay Poetry Award at the BC Book Prizes. A selection from Dwell -- Host Nation, Host Society -- was nominated for inclusion in the anthology The Gertrude Stein Awards in Innovative North American Poetry: 1993 (Sun & Moon Press).
- Author(s)Jeff Derksen
- PublisherTalon Books,Canada
- Date of Publication04/02/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTalon Books,Canada
- Weight185 g
- Width136 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.