All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis guide looks at how the Victorian vel has been read over the past hundred years. Unlike other critical guides, it t only provides students with examples of significant strands of criticism, but also helps them to make sense of these articles and extracts by means of a narrative and critical framework. The velists referred to are the ackwledged great names of Victorian fiction, including the Bronte sisters, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, Elizabeth Gaskell, Thomas Hardy, Henry James, William Makepeace Thackeray, and Anthony Trollope. A short opening section describing and representing early critical responses is complemented by a longer second section looking at current themes in criticism, such as genre, gender, politics, science, language, the can, and modes of production. The volume as a whole enhances students' critical repertoire, encourages them to recognise the situatedness of all criticism, and helps them to engage with critical debates about the Victorian vel.
- Author BiographyFrancis O'Gorman is Lecturer in Victorian Literature in the School of English at the University of Leeds. He has written widely on the Victorian period, including the books John Ruskin (1999) and Late Ruskin: New Contexts (2001), and co-edited collections on Margaret Oliphant (1999), Ruskin and Gender (2002), and The Victorians and the Eighteenth Century: Reassessing the Tradition (2003). He has also written articles and book chapters on Ruskin, Tyndall, Robert Browning, Tennyson, Michael Field, and Victorian masculinities. He is currently working on the Blackwell's Annotated Anthology of Victorian Poetry and writing more on Ruskin.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication05/07/2002
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBlackwell Guides to Criticism
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight682 g
- Width164 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byFrancis O'Gorman
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.