Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Victorians , Jeremy Paxman offers his personal take on the most important and influential period of our national past. Using the paintings of the era as his starting point - in his view, the one mode of Victorian art yet to be rescued from indifference - Paxman explores themes of family, urban life, industry, empire, and imagination to uncover truths (and explode some myths) about Victorian Britain. To Paxman, these paintings were the television of their day, immensely popular visual narratives that attracted crowds by the hundreds of thousands: a single picture show featuring Elizabeth Butler's Balaclava (depicting survivors of the Charge of the Light Brigade) drew 50,000 viewers, some of them openly weeping. The Victorians shows how artists like Butler, William Powell Frith, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Luke Fildes, and Ford Madox Brown were chronicling a world changing before their eyes, and his overview ranges across the whole of Victorian life and culture: from high gothic architecture to the birth of the football league, from the vels of Dickens to the techlogical marvels of Brunel. Published to coincide with a landmark BBC series, The Victorians is an opinionated, informed, surprising, and hugely enthusiastic appraisal of the birth of modern Britain - a glorious reminder of how the Victorians made us who we are today.
- Author BiographyJeremy Paxman was born in Yorkshire and educated at Cambridge. He is an award-winning journalist and the author of Friends in High Places: Who Runs Britain?, Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life, The English, The Political Animal and On Royalty. He is currently presenter of Newsnight and University Challenge.
- Author(s)Jeremy Paxman
- PublisherEbury Publishing
- Date of Publication12/02/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Books
- Out-of-print date19/08/2016
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1043 g
- Width199 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.