All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the 1970s, owing to their oil 'rents', Algeria, Iraq and Libya all seemed engaged in a swift modernization process. Oil was the godsend that would enable these states to catch up ecomically. Algeria was a Mediterranean dragon,A Libya an emirateA and Iraq the rising military powerA of the Arab world. From a political perspective, progressive socialism suggested that profound changes were underway: women's liberation, urbanization, education for all, longer life expectancy and so on. A few decades later, the disillusion is a cruel one. The sense of wealth led these countries to undertake political, ecomic and military experiments that would lead to impasses with disastrous consequences that they are still trying to overcome. How did it all happen? Can these countries dispense with far-reaching reforms? Can the EU export its rms and values and protect its gas supply? The present work offers the first global approach to the subject.
- Author BiographyLuis Martinez is a Senior Research Fellow at CERI/Sciences Po in Paris. He has been a Visiting Professor at Columbia University, New York (2000-2001) and at the University of Montreal (2007-2008). A political scientist and a specialist on the Maghreb and the Middle East, his books include The Algerian Civil War, 1990-1998 (Hurst, 2000), The Libyan Paradox (Hurst, 2007) and, co-edited with A. Blom and L. Bucaille, The Enigma of Islamist Violence (Hurst, 2007).
- Author(s)Luis Martinez
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.