All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Violet Bakery is bustling cake shop and cafe in Hackney, east London. Famed for its exquisite baked goods and contemporary feel it has become a cult destination. Owner, Claire Ptak, brings a Californian sensibility to her recipes with wholegrain flours, unrefined sugars, the natural sweetness of seasonal fruits and nut oils. Claire began with a cupcake stall in Broadway Market but as word-of-mouth grew so did her modern-feeling baking repertoire. Claire has lovingly developed the best-tasting, most wholesome iterations of classics as well as new recipes with fresh, contemporary flavours. Her book, structured around times of the day, shares the flavour secrets of her delicious Violet bakes for home cooks. Think: Morning - Buckwheat grala or Cinammon buns; Midday - Squash, brown butter and sage quiche or Mozzarella, rosemary and new potato tarts; Teatime - Butterscotch bondie or Ginger molasses cake; Desserts - Cherry cobbler or Fig leaf ice cream; and, Party Party - Loganberry-vanilla birthday cake or Coconut cream trifle cake. With over 100 recipes, all up-to-the-minute and with taste paramount, this is the cookbook for modern bakers.
- Author BiographyA California native, Claire Ptak worked as a pastry chef for Alice Waters at Chez Panisse in Berkeley before moving to London in 2005. She staged in restaurants including Moro and St. John before starting Violet, her stall on Broadway Market in east London. Claire opened the Violet Bakery in 2010. Jamie Oliver said Claire is 'his favourite cake maker in the whole world'. Claire is also a food writer and stylist whose work includes Ottolenghi's weekly Guardian column, Observer Food Monthly, Jamie Magazine, Kinfolk, and Vogue. She has published three cookbooks, The Home-Made Sweet Shop, The Whoopie Pie Book and Leon: Baking & Puddings.
- PrizesShortlisted for Fortnum and Mason Food and Drink Awards: Food Book 2016.
- Author(s)Claire Ptak
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication12/03/2015
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSquare Peg
- Weight1033 g
- Width180 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $23.04Trending at AU $34.45
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $23.04Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $23.03Trending at AU $36.71
- AU $23.48Trending at AU $29.32
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $33.82
- AU $23.04Trending at AU $33.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.