All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionThis famous book has the rare distinction of having been written by one family of distinguished violin-makers and experts -- the Hill family of London -- about ather -- the legendary Guarneri family of Mantua, Cremona, and Venice. The Hills were unrivaled conisseurs with a family tradition of violin-making, restoration, and scholarship. Several of their books form the basis of our kwledge of old stringed instruments. This generously illustrated volume offers both a history of the Guarneri family and a commentary on their craftsmanship.The Hills describe and analyze the life and work of each of the five great master craftsmen of the Guarneri family, from Andrea Guarneri (c. 1626-98), the founding father, to his grandsons Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesu (1698-1744), the most illustrious member of the family, and Pietro Guarneri of Venice (1695-1762). Over 130 photographs, 16 in full color, illustrate Guarneri craftsmanship in consummate detail. The craft of each master is explored in terms of forms, dimensions, materials, favored varnishes, and work methods. The authors compare Guarneri instruments to those of Stradivari and Amati, and list those still kwn to exist. Filled with fascinating detail, this definitive work is essential to violinists, musical historians, conisseurs, and collectors.
- Author BiographyW. E. Hill and Sons of London were famed for the excellence of their violins and other stringed instruments. The family business operated from 1887-1992, specializing in bow-making and winning international acclaim for their expert identification and restoration of antique instruments.
- Author(s)Alfred Ebsworth Hill,Arthur F. Hill,William Henry Hill
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/08/1989
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Out-of-print date06/02/2017
- Weight748 g
- Width216 mm
- Height286 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementReprinted edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.