All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.84
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
About this product
- DescriptionD. H. Lawrence's best-kwn late fictions are presented in this volume, which is dominated by two powerful vellas, The Virgin and the Gipsy and The Escaped Cock (also kwn as The Man Who Died). In the first, a young woman from a restrictive English rectory discovers further dimensions to life through her contact with a gipsy; in the second, an unnamed man - in fact Lawrence's vision of Christ - is resurrected and escapes from his tomb. Both vellas deal with the themes of escape and sexual awakening, which are echoed in the four short stories and three fragments also collected here. This edition restores Lawrence's final texts, before the changes introduced by censorship, mistakes in transmission and various other forms of interference, with variants recorded. The introduction traces the history of the stories, while the tes offer help with allusions, contexts and other points of potential difficulty or interest.
- Author BiographyMichael Herbert is Senior Lecturer in English at the University of St Andrews. Bethan Jones is Lecturer in English at the University of Hull. Lindeth Vasey is Copyeditorial Manager at Penguin.
- Author(s)D. H. Lawrence
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/03/2006
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Edition of the Works of D. H. Lawrence
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight650 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byBethan Jones,Lindeth Vasey,Michael Herbert
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.