All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPablo Picasso's continued search for the essential features of perceived objects and his natural abidance to the general principles regulating artistic creation determined his intuitive analysis of the various stages of vision. His exploration of pictorial language is reflected in the well-established periods in the development of Cubism. Progressively, objects were analyzed first by their image (or retinal) and surface (or external) features as viewed from particular observer-oriented viewpoints during the Pre-Cubist and Cezannian Cubist stages; then by viewer-independent, structural features during Analytic Cubism; and finally by categorial features during Synthetic Cubism. This final re-evaluation allowed the artist to treat pictorial language as truly arbitrary, leading to metaphorical correlations between objects that went beyond what was actually depicted on the surface of the canvas.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Enrique Mallen earned his doctorate at Cornell University in 1989. He is currently Associate Professor of Hispanic Studies at Texas A & M University in College Station. His publications include Con/figuracion Sintactica: Poesia del Des/lenguaje; The Embodiment of the Pictorial Sign: Pablo Picasso's Early Cubism; Metaphor and Cognition in Pablo Picasso's Synthetic Cubism; and A Minimalist Approach to Picasso's Visual Grammar: Les Demoiselles d'Avignon.
- Author(s)Enrique Mallen
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2003
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleBerkeley Insights in Linguistics and Semiotics
- Series Part/Volume Number54
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Note318 fig.
- Weight650 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.