All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShaped by navigation, trade, and warfare, the Aland Islands, the westernmost archipelago of more than 300 habitable islands between Sweden and Finland, are home to some of the oldest churches in Finland. Churches are the only buildings in theAland Islands to have been in continuous use since the Middle Ages, yet one really kws how old they are. There are medieval sources or written records that shed light on the building history of the churches. Yet the churches themselves, with their fittings and decorative ornamentations, medieval wooden sculptures, and wall paintings, are the most important source of kwledge about the medieval history of the Aland Islands. The Voice of the Aland Churches presents the history of these wonderfully preserved places of worship through architectural, art historical, and archaeological studies. This stunningly beautiful book will appeal to those interested in medieval churches and what they can tell us about medieval life.
- Author BiographyASA RINGBOM, professor emerita of art history at Abo Akademi University and research professor at the Aland University of Applied Sciences, is head of the Aland Churches Project and the International Mortar Dating Project. Through a multidisciplinary approach, these projects are getting close to pinpointing the chronology of these churches.
- Author(s)Asa Ringbom
- PublisherAlands landskapsregering
- Date of Publication15/03/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationMariehamn
- Country of PublicationFinland
- ImprintAlands landskapsregering
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight975 g
- Width270 mm
- Height225 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.