All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1950, when his short stories first appeared, Kurt Vonnegut has published almost 50 short stories, 13 vels, two plays, and a teleplay. He has remained one of the shrewdest commentators-and often harshest critics-of American society, challenging the complacency of the Eisenhower years, watching the Kennedy's with admiration, and disliking Nixon. He has remained one of the most important chroniclers of American life, his message often foreboding though rarely gloomy. Yet he occupies an ambiguous place in American letters. The 14 essays in this collection seek to chronicle Vonnegut's career as it moves through changing times. The volume opens with a chrology of Vonnegut's life and three interviews with him. The essays consider his career, combining interest and readability for the general reader with critical commentary for the more serious scholar. The essays consider Vonnegut's later work or are retrospectives reevaluating aspects of his career. Some discuss individual works, particularly later vels, but most consider the ways Vonnegut pursues a theme or technique, the ways his mind works both in the construction of the vels and in the ideas embodied in them. There is also an Appendix discussing Vonnegut's most recent creative enterprise, graphic art, with 12 illustrations of his most recent art work.
- Author BiographyPETER J. REED, Professor of English and Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Minnesota, wrote the first book-length treatment of Vonnegut in 1972, Writers for the 70s:Kurt Vonnegut. His biographical sketches of Vonnegut appear in such standard works as the Concise Dictionary of American Literary Biography, the Dictionary of American Literary Biography, Magill's Survey of American Literature, and Postmodern Fiction:A Bio-Bibliographical Guide. MARC LEEDS has directed computer-based writing programs at East Tennessee State University and Shawnee State University. He is now a freelance writer and author of The Vonnegut Encyclopedia: An Authorized Compendium (Greenwood, 1995).
- Author(s)Marc Leeds,Peter J. Reed
- Date of Publication30/09/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleContributions to the Study of World Literature
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 65.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Notebibliography, index
- Weight546 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.