All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSt. Augustine formulated the classic Christian understanding of desire, that our hearts are restless until they rest in God. Gilbert Meilaender maintains that this frustrated desire lies at the heart of our existence. In The Way That Leads There , he takes Augustine as a conversation partner for exploring subjects that human beings have wrestled with for centuries - desire, duty, politics, sex, and grief. Deep and carefully reasoned, Meilaender's work rescues Augustine from many of our misperceptions and interacts meaningfully with both C. S. Lewis and Catholic moral theology, generating insights on difficult topics - lying, contraception, food, and grief, among others. The picture of life that emerges in these pages is one of incompleteness, of our inability to perfect and unify our moral lives. Yet, this inability is t a cause for despair; it is rather a call to look, with Augustine, to God as the source and object of our greatest desire.
- Author BiographyGilbert Meilaender is Dauesenberg Professor in Christian Ethics at Valparaiso University, Indiana, USA. A member of the President's Council on Bioethics, he was written nearly a dozen books including Bioethics: A Primer for Christians.
- Author(s)Gilbert Meilander
- PublisherWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Date of Publication11/09/2006
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Weight236 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.