All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI can only say that I have been privileged to have been just one of those fortunate evacuees during World War Two, while others possibly suffered. I was enjoying the very best of my childhood, and of my life. Paul Richards was six years old when he moved to Cookham with his family to escape the perils of living in London during the war. Although only 30 miles away from the city, down the river Thames, Cookham was a rural idyll that the war barely seemed to touch and where the pace of life was slower. Paul spent his days exploring the countryside, making friends with the local characters and enjoying the country way of life. More than 3.5 million people were evacuated during the Second World War, and t all were relocated to happy homes, but these stalgic memoirs show one evacuee's recollections of a contented childhood - where people survived through adversity by taking pleasure from the simple things and keeping their strong sense of community spirit.
- Author BiographyPaul Richards was born in Finchley, North London in 1933. During World War Two he was evacuated to Cookham on Thames. The author passed exams that enabled him to attend Windsor County Boys School until he returned to Cricklewood in London after the war with his parents. He then attended Holloway Grammar School and attained matriculation. The author next became an apprentice motor mechanic in Cumberland Garage, Marble Arch. He served as craftsman in R.E.M.E. Malaysia during the emergency. Paul then became the managing director of Luton hat manufacturing company, Richards & Thirkell (Luton) Ltd. for more than thirty years, until his retirement.
- Author(s)Paul Richards
- PublisherAustin Macauley Publishers
- Date of Publication02/03/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAustin Macauley Publishers
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.