All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDepression, once a subfield of neurosis, has become the most diagsed mental disorder in the world. Why and how has depression become such a topical illness and what does it tell us about changing ideas of the individual and society? Alain Ehrenberg investigates the history of depression and depressive symptoms across twentieth-century psychiatry, showing that identifying depression is far more difficult than a simple diagstic distinction between rmal and pathological sadness - the one constant in the history of depression is its changing definition. Drawing on the accumulated kwledge of a lifetime devoted to the study of the individual in modern democratic society, Ehrenberg shows that the phemen of modern depression is t a construction of the pharmaceutical industry but a pathology arising from inadequacy in a social context where success is attributed to, and expected of, the automous individual. In so doing, he provides both a vel and convincing description of the illness that clarifies the intertwining relationship between its diagstic history and changes in social rms and values. The first book to offer both a global sociological view of contemporary depression and a detailed description of psychiatric reasoning and its transformation - from the invention of electroshock therapy to mass consumption of Prozac - The Weariness of the Self offers a compelling exploration of depression as social fact.
- Author BiographyAlain Ehrenberg is research director emeritus at the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), Paris.
- Author(s)Alain Ehrenberg
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication25/03/2009
- LanguageEnglish & French
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Weight685 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.