About this product
- DescriptionHow did England go from a position of inferiority to the powerful Spanish empire to achieve global pre-eminence? In this important second book, Alison Games, a colonial American historian, explores the period from 1560 to 1660, when England challenged dominion over the American continents, established new long-distance trade routes in the eastern Mediterranean and the East Indies, and emerged in the 17th century as an empire to reckon with. Games discusses such topics as the men and women who built the colonial enterprise, the political and fiscal factors that made such growth possible, and domestic politics that fueled commercial expansion. Her cast of characters includes soldiers and diplomats, merchants and mariners, ministers and colonists, goverrs and tourists, revealing the surprising breath of foreign experiences ordinary English people had in this period. This book is also unusual in stretching outside Europe to include Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. A comparative imperial study and expansive world history, this book makes a lasting argument about the formative years of the English empire.
- Author BiographyDorothy M. Brown Distinguished Professor of History, Georgetown University. Author of Migration and the Origins of the English Atlantic World (Harvard UP, 1999) and co-author of The Atlantic World: A History, 1400-1888 (Harlan Davidson, 2007).
- PrizesWinner of Roland H Bainton Prize 2009.
- Author(s)Alison Games
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication12/11/2009
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note10 black and white halftone illustrations
- Weight563 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.37New
- AU $21.29New
- AU $24.95New
- AU $20.04New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.91New
- AU $11.60Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.80New
- AU $32.15New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $21.29
- AU $20.21Trending at AU $25.16
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $31.92
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.01
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.51
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.65
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.