All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOften described as 'the land of castles' and the world's 'castle capital', Wales has an abundance of these magnificent monuments dotted all around the country. Today, a considerable number have sadly crumbled and all but disappeared, but there are many still standing - a mix of evocative ruins and some impressively intact. These great fortresses have provided an exciting backdrop to the history of Wales, with tales of King Arthur at Caerleon Castle, Royalists seizing Chepstow, Carreg Cennen being captured by the great folk hero Owain Glyn Dwr and the first Welsh king of England being born at Pembroke Castle. The most famous of Wales' castles were built under King Edward I, who used them to crush and subdue the population and embarked upon some ambitious concentric designs. In this fascinating and beautifully illustrated book, Marc Alexander explores the story of Welsh castles, featuring colourful examples throughout the country's history.
- Author BiographyMarc Alexanderis a consultant editor of Heritage Magazine and formany years he contributed a regular history column to Majesty magazine. He has writtenmore than 60books, including Britain's Royal Heritage, ACompanion to Folklore, Myths & Customs of Britain, and A Companion to the Royal Heritage of Britain.
- Author(s)Marc Alexander
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication04/05/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note80 colour illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width185 mm
- Height124 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.77Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.