All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Western Isles of Scotland appear to the popular imagination as romantic and remote islands where the inhabitants cling to an archaic culture which is barely integrated into modern industrial society. In this book Judith Ennew dispels such myths, and confronts the social problems of an ecomically depressed region without denying its unique cultural aspects. She traces the history of the Western Isles as a dynamic process, and shows that even the crofting way of life is of recent origin. What is so often taken to be an ancient way of life is t a static structure but the continuing result of the development of capitalism. Its history is as modern as that of any other living pattern within the United Kingdom. Dr Ennew examines the history of land tenure and ecomy, showing how the islands have been integrated into industrial society in the last two hundred years. She then explores the current way of life in the area, particularly in the rthern island of Lewis. Finally, she considers the future prospects of the islands, demonstrating how the inhabitants are trying to develop a consciousness of their own history with which to combat present social ills.
- Author(s)Judith Ennew
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/05/1980
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleChanging Culture Series
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note19ill.3tabs.
- Weight190 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.