All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDelving both into 'the worlds of the mind' and 'where he happens to be', Owen Marshall brings us poetry that is steeped in the Classics, history and literature, and yet is alive with the vivid particulars of damp duffle-coats and hot-air balloons, beer and bicycles, willows and skylarks, kauri gum and limestone tunnels. Marshall's work, taut with aphorisms, mining the philosophical, is nevertheless understated and wry. It is as likely to explore the nature of enduring love and the sacrifices made to adhere to a personal morality, as it is to delight in the image of a small child's animal elan on a trampoline. With a crisply erudite vocabulary, yet a direct and lucid manner, Marshall takes us from Gorbio to Nelson, from Turkey to St Bathan's, from Richard III to resentful schoolboys on detention; from intimate endearments to a portrait of the disillusioned guy in the pub cover band. His dry, even acerbic humour and verbal control effect a keen-eyed watch on any melancholia and despair that grow out of staring too long into the fire of human folly.
- Author BiographyOwen Marshall has written, or edited, 25 books, including three collections of poetry. He has held fellowships at the universities of Canterbury and Otago, and in Menton, France. In 2000 his novel Harlequin Rex won the Montana New Zealand Book Awards Deutz Medal for fiction. Marshall is an adjunct professor at the University of Canterbury, which awarded him the honorary degree of Doctor of Letters in 2002. He received the ONZM in 2000 and the CNZM in 2012 for services to literature, and in 2013 the Prime Minister's Award for Fiction.
- Author(s)Owen Marshall
- PublisherOtago University Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationDunedin
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintOtago University Press
- Weight168 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.