All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Women's Movement Inside and Outside the State argues that the mobilization and success of the U.S. women's movement cant be fully understood without recognizing the presence of feminist activist networks inside the federal government. Utilizing in-depth interviews and historical sources, Lee Ann Banaszak's research documents the significant contributions that these insider activists made to the creation of feminist organizations and the vital roles that they played in the development and implementation of policies in many areas, including education, foreign policy, and women's health. Banaszak also finds that working inside government did t always co-opt or deradicalize these activists. Banaszak's research causes us to rethink our current understanding of many social movement concepts and processes, including political opportunities, movement institutionalization, and confrontational tactics, and it alters our conception of the interests and character of the American state.
- Author BiographyLee Ann Banaszak is currently associate professor of political science and women's studies at the Pennsylvania State University. She is the author of Why Movements Succeed or Fail: Opportunity, Culture and the Struggle for Woman Suffrage (1996) and the editor of Women's Movements Facing the Reconfigured State (Cambridge, 2003, with Karen Beckwith and Dieter Rucht) and The U.S. Women's Movement in Global Perspective (2005). Her articles have appeared in journals including the American Political Science Review, Public Opinion Quarterly, Political Research Quarterly, Politics & Gender, and Electoral Studies.
- Author(s)Lee Ann Banaszak
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/12/2009
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus.
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.