All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionHow does language comprise the implicit or explicit curriculum of teaching and learning in multicultural science settings? Building on a growing interest in the ways in which language and literacy practices interact with science teaching and learning to facilitate or obstruct successful student outcomes, this book contributes to scholarship on the role of language in developing classroom scientific communities of practice, expands that work by highlighting the challenges faced specifically by ethnic- and linguistic- mirity students and their teachers in joining those communities, and showcases exemplary teaching and research initiatives for helping to meet these challenges. Offering teacher practitioners and researchers in the fields of science education and multicultural education lenses through which they can critically consider the myriad of classroom settings, instructional approaches, curricular materials, and scientific topics involved in what it means to teach science while pointedly addressing concerns about equity of educational opportunity, this volume serves as a powerful resource for linking theory and practice. End-of-chapter reflection questions and engagement activities facilitate discussion round these issues and provide rich opportunities for the reader to consider the implications of each chapter for science instruction and research and to apply insights developed in a real-world science teaching and learning contexts.
- Author BiographyKatherine Richardson Bruna is Assistant Professor of Multicultural and International Curriculum Studies in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University. Kimberley Gomez is Assistant Professor of Literacy, Language and Culture and Learning Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication15/07/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleLanguage, Culture, and Teaching Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRoutledge Member of the Taylor and Francis Group
- Content Note25 black & white tables
- Weight635 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byKatherine Richardson Bruna,Kimberley Gomez
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.