All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionElegantly written. - New York Times Book Review Olivier Bernier's richly detailed, engaging, and elegant book offers a splendid refresher course on a pivotal moment in world history - the dawn of the modern era. - Francine du Plessix Gray Bernier's style is easeful and informed; he has an acute eye for a colorful, clever, and iconic image. - Times (London) A sweeping, impressively argued portrait of the dawn of the modern age ...A distinguished work of popular history. - Kirkus Reviews In the year 1800, the world found itself enmeshed in a web of mercantilism, war, and political intrigue, out of which a new world - our world - was struggling to be born. Bringing all of his talents as a historian and first-rate storyteller to bear, Olivier Bernier takes us on a fascinating journey around the world, providing a finely textured portrait of civilization at the dawn of the modern era. Olivier Bernier (New York, NY) is the author of Fireworks at Dusk: Paris in the Thirties; Words of Fire, Deeds of Blood; and Louis XIV: A Royal Life. He is widely acclaimed for his lectures at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Author BiographyOlivier Bernier was born in the United States of French parents and was educated in Paris and at Harvard and the Institut of Fine Arts at New York University. He is the author of several critically acclaimed histories, including Fireworks at Dusk: Paris in the Thirties; Words of Fire, Deeds of Blood: The Mob, the Monarchy, and the French Revolution; and Louis XIV: A Royal Life. He has also taught art history and is widely acclaimed for his lectures at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
- Author(s)Olivier Bernier
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/1996
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Out-of-print date15/01/2011
- Content Notemaps
- Weight822 g
- Width166 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.