All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe World of Cities is a concise theoretical and empirical introduction to urban sociology. In clear and engaging terms, the book surveys and critiques all the major theoretical perspectives in urban studies. It examines the meanings of place and space, and applies these concepts to contemporary cities, communities, and neighborhoods. It then reviews the history of city-building in the United States from the late 18th century to the present time. Next it examines the impact of global ecomic and cultural forces on contemporary local places and city life in a comparative context, with illustrative examples and evidence from the United States and China. The final section discusses the current efforts of metropolitan leaders to improve cities and maintain the civic culture of a community. For the student of urban sociology and urban studies in general, this textbook is an ideal overview and synthesis of a fascinating and ever-changing field.
- Author BiographyAnthony M. Orum is Professor of Sociology and Political Science at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is the author of City-Building in America (1995) and Introduction to Political Sociology (4e, 2000), and co-editor of The Case for the Case Study (with Joe Feagin and Gideon Sjoberg, 1991) and Changing Societies (with John Johnstone and Stephanie Riger, 1999). Xiangming Chen is Associate Professor of Sociology at University of Illinois at Chicago and Research Fellow with the IC2 Institute at the University of Texas at Austin. He is interested in the comparative study of cities in the global context, with a primary focus on China and East Asia. He has published numerous articles on urban studies and is the author of the forthcoming From Barriers to Bridges (2003).
- Author(s)Anthony M. Orum,Leonard Nevarez,Xiangming Chen
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication13/12/2002
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series Title21st Century Sociology
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note5 illustrations
- Weight296 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.