All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe twenty-first century has seen a further dramatic increase in the use of quantitative kwledge for governing social life after its explosion in the 1980s. Indicators and rankings play an increasing role in the way governmental and n-governmental organizations distribute attention, make decisions, and allocate scarce resources. Quantitative kwledge promises to be more objective and straightforward as well as more transparent and open for public debate than qualitative kwledge, thus producing more democratic decision-making. However, we kw little about the social processes through which this kwledge is constituted r its effects. Understanding how such numeric kwledge is produced and used is increasingly important as proliferating techlogies of quantification alter modes of kwing in subtle and often unrecognized ways. This book explores the implications of the global multiplication of indicators as a specific techlogy of numeric kwledge production used in governance.
- Author BiographyRichard Rottenburg holds a Chair in Anthropology at Martin Luther University of Halle, Wittenberg, Germany. His research focuses on the anthropology of law, organization, science and technology (LOST). Sally Engle Merry is Silver Professor of Anthropology at New York University and a faculty director of the Center for Human Rights and Global Justice at the New York University School of Law. Sung-Joon Park is a lecturer at the Institute for Anthropology of the University of Leipzig. Johanna Mugler is a lecturer at the Institute for Social Anthropology at the University of Bern.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Law and Society
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note7 b/w illus. 3 tables
- Weight550 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byJohanna Mugler,Richard Rottenburg,Sally Engle Merry,Sung-Joon Park
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.