The World of the Autistic Child: Understanding and Treating Autistic Spectrum Disorders by Bryna Siegel (Paperback, 1998)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.00Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor thousands of loving and concerned parents of autistic children, the suspicion that something may be wrong comes long before the clinical diagsis of autism, PDD (pervasive developmental disorder), or Asperger's syndrome. When rounds of testing and consultations confirm parents' worst fears, their emotional turmoil is matched by an overriding practical concern: What do we do next? The World of the Autistic Child is by far the most complete and comprehensive book ever written for the parents of autistic children, and for the teachers, child specialists, and other professionals that care for them. Written by Dr. Bryna Siegel, a developmental psychologist and director of a large university clinic for autistic children, it provides help and hope t only for the children, but for their families-the parents, grandparents, siblings, and other caregivers who must come to grips with their own grief and confusion following a diagsis of autism or other related disorder. Dr. Siegel believes that parents' best defense is to acquire, as early as possible, the kwledge and the parenting skills they will need to work with professionals to help their child fulfill his or her potential. This book, therefore, is about understanding the diagsis of autism, the available treatments, and how to decide what is best for a particular child with autism or PDD. Straightforward and sympathetic, Dr. Siegel guides readers through the thicket of symptoms and labels, explaining the crucial importance of intensive early education, and how to find the resources and help that are available. Behavior modification, the development of daily living skills, guidelines for selecting and designing schooling, mainstreaming, the role for traditional academics in educating higher functioning children and young people, building effective parent-teacher relationships, psychoactive medications, and dealing with the possibility of residential placement are all covered. Dr. Siegel teaches parents and professionals to use their own common sense and personal observations in evaluating the many highly publicized but urthodox and often untested treatments for autism, including the much-touted facilitated communication (F/C), holding therapy, auditory training, Options therapy, allergy treatments, and special diets. Pulling together a wealth of long-needed information on the latest educational and medical advances, The World of the Autistic Child is a superb guide and resource that one who cares about autistic or developmentally disabled young people will want to be without.
- Author BiographyBryna Siegel has directed the Pervasive Developmental Disorders Clinic and Laboratory at Langley Porter Psychiatric Institute at the University of California, San Francisco for the past six years, and earlier, was one of the founders of the Autism Clinic at Stanford University. She is the author of The Working Parents Guide to Child Care, What About Me? Growing Up with a Developmentally Disabled Sibling, and numerous professional publications.
- Author(s)Bryna Siegel
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication18/06/1998
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note7 line figures
- Weight321 g
- Width136 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.