The Wrong Carlos: Anatomy of a Wrongful Execution by Lauren Rosenberg, Lauren White, Shawn Crowley, Daniel Zharkovsky, Andrew Markquart, James S. Liebman (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $88.98Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $809.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1989, Texas executed Carlos DeLuna, a poor Hispanic man with childlike intelligence, for the murder of Wanda Lopez, a convenience store clerk. His execution passed unticed for years until a team of Columbia Law School faculty and students almost accidentally chose to investigate his case and found that DeLuna almost certainly was incent. They discovered that one had cared eugh about either the defendant or the victim to make sure the real perpetrator was found. Everything that could go wrong in a criminal case did. This book documents DeLuna's conviction, which was based on a single, nighttime, cross-ethnic eyewitness identification with corroborating forensic evidence. At his trial, DeLuna's defense, that ather man named Carlos had committed the crime, was t taken seriously. The lead prosecutor told the jury that the other Carlos, Carlos Hernandez, was a phantom of DeLuna's imagination. In upholding the death penalty on appeal, both the state and federal courts concluded the same thing: Carlos Hernandez did t exist. The evidence the Columbia team uncovered reveals that Hernandez t only existed but was well kwn to the police and prosecutors. He had a long history of violent crimes similar to the one for which DeLuna was executed. Families of both Carloses mistook photos of each for the other, and Hernandez's violence continued after DeLuna was put to death. This book and its website (thewrongcarlos.net) reproduce law-enforcement, crime lab, lawyer, court, social service, media, and witness records, as well as court transcripts, photographs, radio traffic, and audio and videotaped interviews, documenting one of the most comprehensive investigations into a criminal case in U.S. history. The result is eye-opening yet may t be unusual. Faulty eyewitness testimony, shoddy legal representation, and prosecutorial misfeasance continue to put incent people at risk of execution. The principal investigators conclude with vel suggestions for improving accuracy among the police, prosecutors, forensic scientists, and judges.
- Author BiographyJames S. Liebman is Simon F. Rifkind Professor of Law at Columbia Law School and a nationally recognized expert on the death penalty. He is the coauthor of Federal Habeas Corpus Practice and Procedure and A Modern Approach to Evidence: Text, Problems, Transcripts, and Cases. The Columbia DeLuna Project is a multiyear examination of the execution of Carlos DeLuna, conducted by James S. Liebman and five now-graduated Columbia Law students: Shawn Crowley, Andrew Markquart, Lauren Rosenberg, Lauren Gallo White, and Daniel Zharkovsky.
- Author(s)Andrew Markquart,Daniel Zharkovsky,James S. Liebman,Lauren Rosenberg,Lauren White,Shawn Crowley
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication18/07/2014
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content NoteB&W Photos: 99,
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.28Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.