All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIt's the great British obsession and t surprisingly: other country in the world has such unpredictable weather, with such power to rule people's lives as we have. The Wrong Kind of Sw is the complete daily companion to this British phemen. From the Spanish Armada to the invention of the windscreen wiper, each of the 365 entries beautifully illustrates a day in the weird and wonderful history of the British and their weather. 31 January: The 'Big Freeze' of 1963brings the FA Cup competition to a halt: every football pitch in Britain is frozen: the third round takes 66 days to complete: the Pools Panel is formed as a result. 9 February: 'British Rail blames the Wrong Kind of Sw' -- it was a journalist's phrase, but on this day in 1991 it stuck to the beleaguered BR like flesh to ice. 15 July: The exceptionally hot and steamy summer of 1858 caused the Great Stink of London, resulting in the building of London's sewage system, still in use today. On the same day in 1930, rainfall in Yorkshire is so heavy that the Whitby lifeboat makes a rescue two miles inland. 10 September: A violent storm -- rather than British sea power -- defeats the Spanish Armada in1588. Four centuries later, bad light and rain stop play at the Oval ...And much more.
- Author BiographyAntony Woodward and Robert Penn have both long been obsessed with the weather, Antony as a pilot and Rob thanks to a round the world bicycle ride.
- Author(s)Antony Woodward,Rob Penn
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication18/10/2007
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHodder & Stoughton Ltd
- Out-of-print date16/02/2012
- Content NoteThroughout
- Weight718 g
- Width164 mm
- Height40 mm
- Spine211 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.