All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinter counts-pictorial calendars by which Plains Indians kept track of their past-marked each year with a picture of a memorable event. The Lakota, or Western Sioux, recorded many different events in their winter counts, but all include the year the stars fell, the spectacular Leonid meteor shower of 1833-34. This volume is an unprecedented assemblage of information on the important collection of Lakota winter counts at the Smithsonian, a core resource for the study of Lakota history and culture. Fourteen winter counts are presented in detail, with a chapter devoted to the newly discovered Rosebud Winter Count. Together these counts constitute a visual chronicle of over two hundred years of Lakota experience as recorded by Native historians. A visually stunning book, The Year the Stars Fell features full-color illustrations of the fourteen winter counts plus more than 900 detailed images of individual pictographs. Explanations, provided by their nineteenth-century Lakota recorders, are arranged chrologically to facilitate comparison among counts. The book provides ready access to primary source material, and serves as an essential reference work for scholars as well as an invaluable historical resource for Native communities.
- Author BiographyCandace S. Greene is an ethnologist in the Anthropology Collections and Archives program at the Smithsonian Institution and author of Silver Horn: Master Illustrator of the Kiowa. Russell Thornton, a registered member of the Cherokee Nation, is a distinguished professor of anthropology at the University of California-Los Angeles and author of The Cherokees: A Population History (Nebraska 1990).
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note14 color illustrations, 916 b&w illustrations, 2 charts, map, index
- Weight1134 g
- Width5193 mm
- Height6466 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited byCandace S. Greene,Russell Thornton
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.