All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'The conversations between Igor Stravinsky and Robert Craft are unique in musical history' - Sunday Times . Dialogues is the final volume in the legendary series of Stravinsky's conversations with Robert Craft. In his Foreword, dated March 1971 shortly before his death, Stravinsky wrote of his 'final work of words': 'They are hardly the last words about myself or my music that I would like to have written, and in fact they say almost thing about the latter, except tangentially, in comments on Beethoven. It is almost five years w since I have completed an original composition, a time during which I have had to transform myself from a composer to a listener. The vacuum which this left has t been filled, but I have been able to live with it thanks, in the largest measure, to the music of Beethoven. It is certain, w that I will t be granted powers such as have recently enable Casals to publish a book at an age six years greater than mine. But I am thankful that I can listen to and love the music of other men in a way I could t do when I was composing my own'. Although Stravinsky may have written thing new about his music in his last years, Themes and Conclusions collects together a number of his programme tes about his own works, among them the Symphonies of Wind Instruments and Jeu de Carte ; and there are waspish letters to the press, wide-ranging interviews, prefaces and reviews, and a whole section entitled 'Squibs'. Readers who enjoyed the earlier volumes of recollections will find this final volume equally enlightening, diverting and enriching. This unique series of memories is essential reading for all students and lovers of Stravinsky.
- Author BiographyThe distinguished conductor, Robert Craft, met Igor Stravinsky in 1948, and developed what proved to be an extraordinarily fruitful artistic partnership from then until the composer's death in 1971. Craft lived with the family in California and later in New York and remained close to the composer's widow Vera, until her death in 1982.
- Author(s)Robert Craft
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication18/02/2010
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight416 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.