Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.53Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe gratifying response to Counterexamples in analysis (CEA) was followed, when the book went out of print, by expressions of dismay from those who were unable to acquire it. The connection of the present volume with CEA is clear, although the sights here are set higher. In the quarter-century since the appearance of CEA, mathematical education has taken some large steps reflected in both the undergraduate and graduate curricula. What was once taken as very new, remote, or arcane is w a well-established part of mathematical study and discourse. Consequently the approach here is designed to match the observed progress. The contents are intended to provide graduate and ad- vanced undergraduate students as well as the general mathematical public with a modern treatment of some theorems and examples that constitute a rounding out and elaboration of the standard parts of algebra, analysis, geometry, logic, probability, set theory, and topology. The items included are presented in the spirit of a conversation among mathematicians who kw the language but are interested in some of the ramifications of the subjects with which they routinely deal. Although such an approach might be construed as demanding, there is an extensive GLOSSARY jlNDEX where all but the most familiar tions are clearly defined and explained. The object ofthe body of the text is more to enhance what the reader already kws than to review definitions and tations that have become part of every mathematician's working context.
- Author(s)Bernard R. Gelbaum,John M. H. Olmsted
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication25/03/1993
- Series TitleProblem Books in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight664 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement1st ed. 1990. 2nd corr. printing 1993
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.