All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGlobal ecomic crisis and the implications of global environmental change have led academics and policy-makers to consider how 'development' in all parts of the world should be achieved. However, 'development' has always been a contested idea. While often presented as a positive process to improve people's lives, the potential negative dimensions of 'development' on people and environments must also be recognized. Theories and Practices of Development provides a clear and user-friendly introduction to the complex debates around how development has been understood and achieved. The second edition has been fully updated and expanded to reflect global political and ecomic shifts, as well as new approaches to development. The rise of China and India is given particular attention, as is the global ecomic crisis and its implications for development theories and practice. There are new sections on faith-based development, and the development dimensions of climate change, as well as greater engagement with development theories as they are put into practice in the Global North. The book deals with the evolution of development ideas and policies, focusing on ecomic, political, social, environmental and spatial dimensions. It highlights how development cant be considered as a neutral concept, but is entwined with inequalities in power at local, as well as national and global scales. The use of boxed examples, tables and illustrations helps students understand complex theoretical ideas and also demonstrates how development theories are put into practice in the real world. Each chapter ends with a summary section, discussion topics, suggestions for further reading and website resources.
- Author BiographyKatie Willis is Reader in Development Geography and Director of the Centre for Developing Areas Research at Royal Holloway, University of London.
- Author(s)Katie Willis
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/02/2011
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Perspectives on Development
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note60 black & white illustrations, 27 black & white tables, 37 black & white halftones, 23 black & white line drawings
- Weight486 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.