All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInformation is regarded as a distinguishing feature of our world. Where once ecomies were built on industry and conquest, we are w part of a global information ecomy. Pervasive media, expanding information occupations and the development of the internet convince many that living in an Information Society is the destiny of us all. Coping in an era of information flows, of virtual relationships and breakneck change poses challenges to one and all. In Theories of the Information Society Frank Webster sets out to make sense of the information explosion, taking a sceptical look at what thinkers mean when they refer to the Information Society, and critically examining the major post-war approaches to informational development. The fourth edition of this classic study brings it up to date with new research and with social and techlogical changes - from the 'Twitter Revolutions' of North Africa, to financial crises that introduced the worst recession in a life time, to the emergence of social media and blogging - and reassesses the work of key theorists in the light of these changes. More outspoken than in previous editions, Webster urges abandonment of Information Society scenarios, preferring analysis of the informatization of long-established relationships. This interdisciplinary book is essential reading for those trying to make sense of social and techlogical change in the post-war era. It addresses issues of central concern to students of sociology, politics, geography, communications, information science, cultural studies, computing and librarianship.
- Author BiographyFrank Webster has been Professor of Sociology at Oxford Brookes University, the University of Birmingham and City University London.
- Author(s)Frank Webster
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/03/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleInternational Library of Sociology
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight725 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.