All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionThis modern translation of Sophus Lie's and Friedrich Engel's Theorie der Transformationsgruppen I will allow readers to discover the striking conceptual clarity and remarkably systematic organizational thought of the original German text. Volume I presents a comprehensive introduction to the theory and is mainly directed towards the generalization of ideas drawn from the study of examples. The major part of the present volume offers an extremely clear translation of the lucid original. The first four chapters provide t only a translation, but also a contemporary approach, which will help present day readers to familiarize themselves with the concepts at the heart of the subject. The editor's main objective was to encourage a renewed interest in the detailed classification of Lie algebras in dimensions 1, 2 and 3, and to offer access to Sophus Lie's monumental Galois theory of continuous transformation groups, established at the end of the 19th Century. Lie groups are widespread in mathematics, playing a role in representation theory, algebraic geometry, Galois theory, the theory of partial differential equations and also in physics, for example in general relativity. This volume is of interest to researchers in Lie theory and exterior differential systems and also to historians of mathematics. The prerequisites are a basic kwledge of differential calculus, ordinary differential equations and differential geometry.
- Author BiographyProfessor Joel Merker studied Mathematics and Philosophy at the Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris where he received his Ph. D. in Mathematics (1996), followed by his habilitation in Mathematics (2006) and Ph. D. in Philosophy (2012). He was a CNRS researcher (1997-2010) and is currently Professor of Mathematics at Paris-Sud-Orsay University.
- Author(s)Sophus Lie
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication13/03/2015
- LanguageEnglish & German
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Weight1148 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Edited byJoel Merker
- Translated byJoel Merker
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.