Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the manipulative pull of self -- mythology and how it informs the telling of story -- whether by a fan worshipping her idol, or an old vaudevillian star reminiscing about a glamorous past. Intimate glances into the lives of the famous bring back points of reflection on their relation to the everyday. Poems about the cast of The Wizard of Oz present the tragedy and ambition of Hollywood life. Some make their living never headlining , but for the exhausted star, it's like getting off a decades-long train ride, having finally arrived, somewhere, where bluebirds fly, you kw? Somewhere like the end, the final surrender . The life of the stars is full of glamour, but is also contrasted with the trauma of leading such a life: what a world, what a twisted/world this is, that, like a boxer's embrace / beats us into bloody conceit . Following this thread are poems about the sometimes-similar struggles and dreams of the less fortunate, portrayed with storybook metaphor as An aimless swirl to the centre of things where/ there are dying fathers, angry mothers, cruel sisters / the same old story . Alternating between prose, lyric, elegy and dramatic mologue, these poems question the nature of performance, blur the lines of identity, and illustrate the age-old hunger to find, amidst life's glitter and waste, a happy ending.
- Author BiographyAdrienne Weiss is a college teacher and writer. She holds an Honours BA in English from the University of Toronto, and an MA in English from York University. Her first book of poems, Awful Gestures, was published in 2001 (Insomniac Press). Previous work has appeared in Taddle Creek, Canadian Literature, Matrix, Room Magazine and Kiss Machine. From the late 1990s to mid-2000s, she was a member of the sketch comedy troupe, The GTOs. She lives in Toronto.
- Author(s)Adrienne Weiss
- PublisherNightwood Editions
- Date of Publication01/03/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNightwood Editions
- Weight110 g
- Width140 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.