All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn American tourist in Europe stopped at a restaurant in Gdansk, Poland, and struck up a conversation with a local. 'Where do you come from?' he asked. 'New Jersey', she said. He smiled and replied, 'Ah, Sopras '. Even fans of that popular show, one that held viewers captive, may be a bit disheartened to discover that the first thing that pops into minds around the world about New Jersey is a dysfunctional crime family, just an exit or two off the infamous N.J. Turnpike. But there's need to live in fear that the only culture and history that the state is kwn for is, well, let's say, a bit of bada bing. Actually, the echo of the Big Bang - the cosmic event that marked the birth of our universe some 13.7 billion years ago - was first identified by scientists from Bell Labs in Murray Hill, New Jersey. In this lively romp through history from the primitive past to the present day, Marc Mappen's message resonates - There's More to New Jersey than the Sopras . Real tales, wise tales, tall tales abound throughout the pages of Mappen's collection, filled with zest, humor, scandal, and occasionally tragedy. Annie Oakley, Ulysses S. Grant, Benedict Arld, Ezra Pound, and Shoeless Joe Jackson - these luminaries and many others share a common bond with the state that witnessed prehistoric elephants roaming its pastures, the explosion on the USS Princeton, a Martian invasion, famous firsts like the phograph, electric light, and movies, and, well, step aside Tony Sopra: mobster Al Capone strolling along the Atlantic City boardwalk. Providing a lens into American history through lively prose and more than twenty-five illustrations, There's More to New Jersey than the Sopras is as much fun as a trip to the Jersey Shore and definitely more rewarding than a night home watching television - simply stated, this book is one you can't refuse to read.
- Author BiographyMARC MAPPEN is the coeditor of the award-winning Encyclopedia of New Jersey and author of Jerseyana: The Underside of New Jersey History (both Rutgers University Press). He has written articles for the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Rutgers Magazine, New Jersey Heritage, and other publications and has appeared on the History Channel and National Public Radio.
- Author(s)Marc Mappen
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2009
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationPiscataway
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRivergate Books
- Content Note27 illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.