All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew would deny that getting ahead is a legitimate goal of learning, but the phrase implies a cruel hierarchy: a student does t simply get ahead, but gets ahead of others. In These Kids , Kysa Nygreen turns a critical eye on this paradox. Offering the voices and viewpoints of students at a last chance high school in California, she tells the story of students who have, in fact, been left behind. Detailing a youth-led participatory action research project that she coordinated, Nygreen uncovers deep barriers to educational success that are embedded within educational discourse itself. Struggling students internalize descriptions of themselves as at risk, low achieving, or troubled - and by adopting the very language of educators, they also adopt its constraints and presumption of failure. Showing how current educational discourse does t, ultimately, provide an adequate vision of change for students at the bottom of the educational hierarchy, she levies a powerful argument that social justice in education is impossible today precisely because of how we talk about it.
- Author BiographyKysa Nygreen is assistant professor in the School of Education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Author(s)Kysa Nygreen
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note1 figure, 6 tables
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.