All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThough waves of cynics and atheists claim that America is too religious, G. Jeffrey MacDonald disagrees. America's churches, he argues, have abandoned their sacred role as dispensers of community values, and instead are increasingly serving up entertainment, aerobics, yoga classes, and other services that have thing to do with religious faith. As religion becomes more consumer-oriented, congregants are able to avoid the moral, intellectual, and theological commitments Christianity requires by simply joining a different--and less rigorous--church. Grounded in journalism, personal experience, and Christian theology, Thieves in the Temple is an impassioned and provocative cri de coeur for a new religious reformation. Incisively critiquing today's dangerous movement away from true religion, MacDonald demonstrates just how much Americans stand to lose when churches sell their souls to recruit parishioners.
- Author BiographyG. Jeffrey MacDonald is a journalist and an ordained minister in the United Church of Christ. A graduate of Yale Divinity School, he is a correspondent for the Christian Science Monitor and the Religion News Service. He writes regularly for Time Magazine on topics in business and business ethics. His work has also appeared in publications including Ms., The Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times. He lives in Newburyport, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)G. Jeffrey MacDonald
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication09/05/2013
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBasic Books
- Weight259 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition StatementFirst Trade Paper Edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.