All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionRead this collection and you will need one to convince you that poetry is a necessity.-Keorapetse Kgositsile, South African National Poet Laureate After a long hiatus from poetry, A.B. Spellman, a founding member of the Black Arts Movement and a nationally recognized jazz scholar, returns with an exuberant, generous collection. Touching on creativity and fatherhood, racism and workplace politics, his poems address the most important personal and public events of the last seventy years-of how it felt to grow up black in a segregated America, of the transformational experience of hearing John Coltrane live, of the give-and-take of a long marriage, and of the importance and inspiration of good friends: if, as the yoruba say, all human beings cover their nakedness with other human beings how does friendship accomplish love? for i am never so bare as i am with you. *** lovers & siblings do t have this. they have too much to defend & defend against & we do t. we have thoughts that match & easy laughter. we have the wisdom of the ocean & all the breeze that calls it there A.B. Spellman spent thirty years at the National Endowment for the Arts, serving as deputy chairman for a decade. He has been a regular commentator on jazz for National Public Radio and is the author of Four Jazz Lives, a classic in the field of jazz criticism.
- Author BiographyA.B. Spellman is both a founding member of the Black Arts Movement and a nationally recognized jazz scholar. He worked at the National Endowment for the Arts for thirty years, ten of those as Deputy Chairman. Before beginning his tenure at the NEA, Spellman was an active poet and regular commentator on jazz for National Public Radio.
- Author(s)A B Spellman
- PublisherCoffee House Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCoffee House Press
- Weight249 g
- Width156 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.