All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Paul Higgins
- PublisherGeneral Hall Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/01/1998
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleThe Reynolds Series in Sociology
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeneral Hall Inc.,U.S.
- Weight272 g
- Width137 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Table Of ContentsChapter 1 Acknowledgements Chapter 2 Introduction Chapter 3 What Is Deviance? Chapter 4 Who Is Deviant? Chapter 5 What Do We Need to Know to Understand Deviance? Chapter 6 Is Deviance a Wart on, or the Woof of, Social Life? Chapter 7 It's Disgusting, Isn't It? Chapter 8 Is Deviance Harmful or Helpful? Chapter 9 Can Deviance Be Intended to Promote Morality, Not Violate It? Chapter 10 How Much Deviance Is There? Chapter 11 What Causes People to Commit Deviance? Chapter 12 How Does Meaning Matter in Committing Deviance? Chapter 13 What Happened? Chapter 14 What Kind of Person Is the Offender? Chapter 15 Images of Harm or Harmful Images? Chapter 16 Who Could Cause Such Harm? Chapter 17 Do You Get the Time Because You Did the Crime? Chapter 18 Can We Deal with Deviance without Discriminating? Chapter 19 Each Case of Deviance Is Different, Isn't It? Chapter 20 If We Spare the Rod, Will We Spoil the Child? Chapter 21 Conclusion Chapter 22 References Chapter 23 About the Author Chapter 24 Index
- Author BiographyPaul Higgins grew up in a family of five children outside of Washington, D.C. His parents, both deaf, taught at Gallaudet University, a university that primarily educates deaf adults. Before attending graduate school in sociology at Northwestern University, where he earned his Ph.D., he taught one year at a state school in Maine that educates deaf children. He now lives in Columbia, South Carolina, with his wife Leigh and their two daughters, Samantha and Cole. He teaches, researches and writes about social life at the University of South Carolina. Among his works are Outsiders in a Hearing World, The Rehabilitation Detectives, Making Disability, Sociological Wonderment, and Understanding Deviance (with Richard Butler).
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $203.71
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.93
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $69.55
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $79.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.