All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book guides students through an exploration of the idea that thinking might be understood as a form of computation. Students make the connection between thinking and computing by learning to write computer programs for a variety of tasks that require thought, including solving puzzles, understanding natural language, recognizing objects in visual scenes, planning courses of action, and playing strategic games. The material is presented with minimal technicalities and is accessible to undergraduate students with specialized kwledge or technical background beyond high school mathematics. Students use Prolog (without having to learn algorithms: Prolog without tears! ), learning to express what they need as a Prolog program and letting Prolog search for answers. After an introduction to the basic concepts, Thinking as Computation offers three chapters on Prolog, covering back-chaining, programs and queries, and how to write the sorts of Prolog programs used in the book. The book follows this with case studies of tasks that appear to require thought, then looks beyond Prolog to consider learning, explaining, and propositional reasoning. Most of the chapters conclude with short bibliographic tes and exercises. The book is based on a popular course at the University of Toronto and can be used in a variety of classroom contexts, by students ranging from first-year liberal arts undergraduates to more technically advanced computer science students.
- Author BiographyHector J. Levesque is Professor of Computer Science at the University of Toronto. He is the coauthor (with Gerhard Lakemeyer) of The Logic of Knowledge Bases (MIT Press, 2001) and coeditor (with Ronald J. Brachman) of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (MIT Press, 1992).
- Author(s)Hector J. Levesque
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication03/02/2012
- SubjectComputing: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note139 b&w illus.
- Weight681 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.