All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAre emotions good or bad for thinking and learning? Have you ever wondered why a good lesson of one year falls flat in ather? Why do students behave the way they do? Teachers are expected to foster productive thought yet the neglect of emotion in the classroom, in favour of intellect, means teaching and learning is often t as effective as it might be. Thinking with Feeling explores what we mean by productive thought, its interrelationship with mood and emotions, how teachers can manage that interaction to improve teaching and learning, and what teacher trainers could do about it. Synthesising the most important international research in the field, it offers a framework for productive, purposeful thought - deduction, understanding, creative thinking, wise thinking, and critical thinking - and explains how mood and emotion can support and also impede learning. It considers the effect of the interplay of emotion and intellect on classroom behaviour, on students' public performance and performance in tests, and how emotional labour can affect the teacher. Illustrated with examples from practice, this challenging, thoughtful study offers education professionals a basis for understanding the interaction of emotions and cognition and making it a successful partnership in order to improve teaching and learning.
- Author BiographyProfessor Douglas P. Newton PhD DSc teaches and researches in the School of Education at the University of Durham,UK. He has written and co-authored many books on education and teaching, including Teaching for Understanding which is now in its second edition, and researches extensively on various aspects of thinking and ways of fostering learning.
- Author(s)Douglas P. Newton
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/02/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note6 black & white illustrations, 6 black & white line drawings
- Weight294 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.