All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSometimes doing the right thing is the wrong thing to do. With a population of a half a million, Third World is a pioneering planet in the Imperial system. Her Majesty's government takes full responsibility for all of their citizens, at least that is the intention. Money is short, times are tough and more populous worlds garner the bulk of attention and resources. Lieutenant Newton Shapiro, supply officer for H.M.S Hermes, in his first independent command, must sweep Capital City and surrounding areas for deserters. Showing the flag and maintaining discipline have never been more important, as a confrontation with Them appears imminent. The young troopers at his command are very green. Hank Beveridge is a survivor, an orphan, and by local standards, a rich man, with his own ranch, a sawmill, and a herd of mounts that are as much friends as anything else. He's been in love with Polly Morgensen for quite some time, and if he could just scrape up a little moral courage, he might have a chance at starting a family. On Third World, men and women of marrying age are as scarce as hen's teeth. When the worlds of two pretty nice guys collide head-on, things can take a surprising turn, even when neither one of them is doing anything wrong.
- Author BiographyLouis Bertrand Shalako began his career writing for community newspapers and industrial magazines, such as The Delhi News-Record, Brant News, The Nanticoke Times, Ontario Tobacco Grower, and the Fire and Safety Equipment Quarterly. A writer of darkly humourous speculative fiction, his works have appeared in six languages. His stories appear in publications as diverse as Perihelion Science Fiction, Bewildering Stories, Aurora Wolf, Ennea, Wonderwaan, Algernon, Nova Fantasia, and Danse Macabre. With a unique voice and gifted story-telling across genres, Louis takes the reader on a magic carpet ride and a compelling read. He lives in southern Ontario and writes full time.
- Author(s)Louis Shalako
- Date of Publication23/12/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.