All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor as long as Mississippi has existed (and then some), flocks of phantoms have haunted the mortal inhabitants of the Maglia State. In Thirteen Mississippi Ghosts and Jeffrey, best-selling folklorist Kathryn Tucker Windham, along with her trusty spectral companion Jeffrey, introduces thirteen of the state's most famous ghost stories. Although stories about Mississippi's spirits seemingly outnumber the ghosts themselves, Windham observes that Southern ghost tales are disappearing because people longer sit around on the porch on summer nights and tell stories. The old folks who grew up with these stories are dying w, and the stories are dying with them. Fortunately for us, Windham was a writer dedicated to preserving these tales in print. The veteran author spent many years tracking down these stories and chronicling the best ones. From the ghost of Mrs. McEwen still wearing her beloved cameo pin and keeping a watchful eye over Featherston Place, her home in Holly Springs, where, she swore, she would stay forever, to the ghostly visage fixed permanently on the bedroom window pane of Catherine McGehee, who searched the horizon ardently for her unrequited love to come to her as promised at Cold Spring Plantation in Pinckneyville, Windham's stories cover the breadth and depth of Mississippi-at times more moonlight than maglia. An enduring classic, this commemorative edition restores Thirteen Mississippi Ghosts and Jeffrey to the ghastly grandeur of its original 1974 edition.
- Author BiographyKathryn Tucker Windham grew up in Thomasville, Alabama, the youngest child in a large family of storytellers. For many years a Selma resident, Windham was a freelance writer, collected folklore, and photographed the changing scenes of her native South.
- Author(s)Kathryn T. Windham
- PublisherThe University of Alabama Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationAlabama
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Alabama Press
- Content Note33 black & white illustrations
- Weight825 g
- Width177 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.