Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionThis Fissured Land, first published in 1992, presents an interpretative history ecological history of the Indian subcontinent. It offers a theory of ecological prudence and profligacy, testing this theory across the wide sweep of South Asian history. The book especially focuses on the use and abuse of forest resources. In Part One, the authors present a general theory of ecological history. Part Two provides a fresh interpretative history of pre-modern India along with an ecological interpretation of the caste system. In Part Three, the authors draw upon a huge wealth of source material in their socio-ecological analysis of the modes of resource use introduced in India by the British. The Second Edition comes with a new Preface by the authors.
- Author BiographyMadhav Gadgil is former Professor of Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Ramachandra Guha is one of India's best-known historians, and a full-time author and columnist.
- Author(s)Madhav Gadgil,Ramachandra Guha
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication25/09/2014
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleOxford India Perennials Series
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Weight264 g
- Width141 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.