All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.49
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.05Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
- AU $14.10Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionIn fact, all the stories in this collection are good'uns. Bill Brett has a fine ear for the ways of speech and a sharp eye for the way of life of the forests and swamps of the southeastern region of Texas. Some might say that the tone of many of these tales is more autobiographical than that of his earlier collection, There Ain't No Such Animal, and perhaps that's true, for in these stories he shows a keen understanding of what it was like for a boy growing up in the early decades of the twentieth century, passing into manhood, and accepting the responsibility that comes with maturity. But there are also stories here about such topics as the strains of married life, the hazards of an obsession for deer hunting, the drawbacks to being part of a family, and the foibles of politicians. In other words, Bill Brett writes with natural humor and perceptive wisdom about the way folks live through all their years. These stories will appeal to anyone who likes a well-told yarn about boys, dogs, horses, farmers, preachers, and the country life that was common to us all just a few generations ago.
- Author BiographyBILL BRETT has been postmaster of Hull, Texas, Oil-well roughneck, cowhand, farmer, rancher, deputy sheriff, truck driver, and anything else that would help raise a family. In addition to There Ain't No Such Animal, Texas A&M University Press has published Brett's The Stolen Steers, which received the Cowboy Hall of Fame's Western Heritage Award for folklore.
- Author(s)Bill Brett
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2000
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width154 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.