All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- DescriptionPicturesque little Bayfield on Lake Superior is Wisconsin s smallest city by population but one of its most popular visitor destinations. This book captures those unique qualities that keep tourists coming back year after year and offers a historically reliable look at the community as it is today and how it came to be. Abundantly illustrated with both historical and contemporary images, This Superior Place showcases, as author Dennis McCann writes, a community where the past was layered with good times and down times, where natural beauty was the one resource that could t be exhausted by the hand of man, and where history is ever present. Because Bayfield serves as the gateway to the Apostle Islands, the book also includes chapters on the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Madeline Island, and the nearby Red Cliff Ojibwe community. It also covers the significant eras in the city s history: lumbering, quarrying, commercial fishing, and the advent of the orchards visitors see today. It is t a guidebook as such but more of a visual and written tour of the city and the major elements that came together to make it what it is. Colorful stories from the past, written in Dennis McCann s casual, humorous style, give a sense of the unique characters and events that have shaped this charming city on the lake.
- Author BiographyDennis McCann spent most of his professional life traveling Wisconsin and the Midwest for the Milwaukee Journal and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. A Wisconsin native and graduate of the University of Wisconsin Madison, he is the author of four previous books on Wisconsin travel and history, including Badger Boneyards: The Eternal Rest of the Story (Wisconsin Historical Society Press, 2010). He and his wife, Barbara, a retired teacher, reside in Bayfield, where nearly every day begins with a superior sunrise.
- Author(s)Dennis McCann
- PublisherWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Date of Publication23/05/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Content Noteblack & white halftones, colour illustrations, maps, frontispiece
- Weight472 g
- Width203 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.