All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaul Cezanne challenged convention, and proposed new possibilities for modern art. He was remarkable for his ability to perceive and paint everyday places, people and things in ways that revealed the multiplicity and beauty of vision, while also unveiling the deep, cohesive structures of the visible world. But the intellectual and emotional difficulties of his achievements were considerable. Mainly self-taught, most of his career was plagued by rejection. The critics, and the public, disliked his paintings and, in 1884, Cezanne declared that Paris, the centre of the nineteenth-century art world, had defeated him. Repeatedly, he retreated into self-doubt and bad temper. This book follows Cezanne on his extraordinary artistic journey, focusing on his formative discoveries, made t in the flashy, fashionable metropolis but in provincial and rural France and often in isolation.
- Author BiographyJorella Andrews is a senior lecturer in the Visual Cultures department at Goldsmiths, University of London. She is the author of Showing Off! A Philosophy of Image and the series editor for Visual Culture As (Spring 2013). Patrick Vale is an internationally recognized illustrator best known for his work based on cities and architecture. Among his recent projects is the time-lapsed film, 'Empire State of Pen'. He lives and works in London.
- Author(s)Jorella Andrews
- PublisherLaurence King Publishing
- Date of Publication27/04/2015
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleThis is
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLaurence King Publishing
- Content Note50 colour illustrations
- Weight380 g
- Width175 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Patrick Vale
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.