Thomas Merton: Twentieth-Century Wisdom for Twenty-First-Century Living by Paul R Dekar (Paperback / softback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.55Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $58.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDescription: Thomas Merton was arguably the twentieth century's most widely published and widely read spiritual writer. This book explores Merton's prophetic writings and experience as they offer guidance for spiritual seekers in their search to experience God, to simplify their lives, to live more humanly, and to shape Christian community in the face of alienation, consumerism, ise, and techlogy. The book includes parts of three previously unpublished conference contributions by Merton on techlogy. Endorsements: Paul Dekar presents us in this book with a manifesto for the future of the Christian community, which he sees being renewed by intentional, contemplative, essentially lay communities that kw how to connect classic monastic wisdom with the challenges of our addicted-conflicted culture. He tells us with real passion that we don't need to fight old battles, but instead need to focus on God's future. The chapter on Merton and techlogy is alone worth the price of the book. Warmly recommended, especially to Christians discouraged with the institutional church. -Donald Grayston Past President International Thomas Merton Society Paul Dekar's book is a thoughtful and comprehensive summary of Merton's concerns about our world--ranging from ecological consciousness, war, n violence, and techlogy to new monasticism and a dialogue with other faiths. It is a timely book offering real guidance. Thomas Merton's diagsis of the ills of our time is speaking powerfully still: 'achievement neurosis, ' overspending, overwork, ise, violence, addiction to techlogy, and an individualism that has lost sight of the common good. The way forward? Creating 'communities of love' in which God's presence and the depth of our humanity--which we consistently igre--are experienced, and where the balance between the inner and the outer life can be restored. -Sr. Miriam Community of the Transfiguration About the Contributor(s): Paul R. Dekar is Professor Emeritus of Evangelism and Mission, Memphis Theological Seminary, member of a new monastic community in Australia, and a prolific author, including Community of the Transfiguration: Journey of a New Monastic Community (Eugene: Cascade, 2008). After thirty-four years of full-time teaching, he continues to teach, write, and work with communities of hope in Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
- Author(s)Paul R Dekar
- PublisherWipf & Stock Publishers
- Date of Publication05/08/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleNew Monastic Library: Resources for Radical Discipleship
- Series Part/Volume Number09
- Place of PublicationEugene
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWipf & Stock Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byDirector and Archivist Paul M Pearson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.