All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCollins Modern Classics are re-launched in gorgeous new covers bringing these familiar stories to a new generation. From the author of best-loved classic 'The Sw Goose'. I was aware, from the very beginning, that I was a most unusual cat... Thomasina is the beloved pet cat of 7-year-old Mary Ruadh, whose strict father is the town's vet. When Thomasina falls ill, her father sees other option but to put the cat down. Heartbroken by his cruelty, Mary stops speaking to her father and falls dangerously ill herself. Meanwhile, Thomasina is rescued by Lori, a young woman who lives alone in an isolated glen and is rumoured to be a witch with healing powers. While Lori helps Thomasina recover from her ordeal, Mary's health continues to deteriorate and it is only when Thomasina makes her miraculous return, on a dark and stormy night, and is reunited with her owner that Mary is pulled from the brink of death.
- Author BiographyPAUL GALLICO (1897-1976) was born in New York City and studied at Columbia University. After serving in the First World War he became a journalist with the New York Daily News where he enjoyed particular acclaim for his sports writing. In 1936 Paul Gallico moved to Salcombe in South Devon where he became a full time writer, living in a house on a hill with his Great Dane and twenty-three cats. He became a notable war correspondent during the Second World War. Among Paul Gallico's best known books are The Snow Goose (1941), a classic story of Dunkirk, and The Poseidon Adventure (1969), which was made into a very successful film. His magical stories about animals, particularly cats, are enduring favourites. These include Jennie (1950) and Thomasina (1957).
- Author(s)Paul Gallico
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication31/03/2011
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Series TitleCollins Modern Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHarperCollins Children's Books
- Weight200 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Interest AgeFrom 9
Most relevant reviews
- gwen234518 Nov, 2011by
Paul Gallico's Thomasina, the marmalade cat from the 1950's.
Paul Gallico's Thomasina is a marmalade cat which is beautifully written. I remember being read this story by our Principal at boarding school. Sister Mary would read a chapter to the boarders on Sunday night. I can still remember so much about this cat even though it was fifty five years ago. I have purchased two copies to be given to my granddaughters. Both are fond of cats as is their grandmother.
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02