About this product
- DescriptionIn this short, lucid, rich book Michael Dummett sets out his views about some of the deepest questions in philosophy. The fundamental question of metaphysics is: what does reality consist of? To answer this, Dummett holds, it is necessary to say what kinds of fact obtain, and what constitutes their holding good. Facts correspond with true propositions, or true thoughts: when we kw which propositions, or thoughts, in general, are true, we shall kw what facts there are in general. Dummett considers the relation between metaphysics, our conception of the constitution of reality, and semantics, the theory that explains how statements are determined as true or as false in terms of their composition out of their constituent expressions. He investigates the two concepts on which the bridge that connects semantics to metaphysics rests, meaning and truth, and the role of justification in a theory of meaning. He then examines the special semantic and metaphysical issues that arise with relation to time and tense. On this basis Dummett puts forward his controversial view of reality as indeterminate: there may be fact of the matter about whether an object does or does t have a given property. We have to relinquish our deep-held realist understanding of language, the illusion that we kw what it is for any proposition that we can frame to be true independently of our having any means of recognizing its truth, and accept that truth depends on our capacity to apprehend it. Dummett concludes with a chapter about God.
- Author BiographySir Michael Dummett is Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Oxford University, and Emeritus Fellow, New College and All Souls College, Oxford.
- Author(s)Sir Michael Dummett
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication16/10/2008
- Series TitleLines of Thought S.
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight145 g
- Width136 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $18.62New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
- AU $24.96New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $32.17New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $20.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $19.06Trending at AU $21.30
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $25.17
- AU $21.92Trending at AU $22.75
- AU $31.07Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.